Friday 1 August 2014

Food in Kenya I

We have really enjoyed some different food, and some familiar food, here in Kenya!  So far the familiar includes delicious local coffee...



Tea, also grown here...



This was a different food which hit the spot on a beautiful, breezy and cool day on which I got to explore the Toi Market with some friends.  On the way back we stopped at a restaurant on Ngong Road. I don't think the dish had a name, but it's apparently a specialty of this restuarant.


You can probably identify most of the ingredients, which are cooked separately and then combined on a platter.  Cooked chicken, pieces of maize (corn-on-the-cob), fried plantain, fried chapatis, chips (fries), sauted red onion and deep-fried hard-boiled egg were garnished with tomato slices and coriander (as cilantro is known here).  The egg had a nice crisp exterior, and the dish went nicely with accompanying chili sauce.  Half-way through I gave up on the fork I had requested and just finished by eating with "the original spoon" as the proprietress commented (my fingers!).  This was washed down with Krest (bitter lemon soda, not too sweet).  Wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. I thought the large piece was a fish head! And I've never heard of fried boiled eggs but it all looks good to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, need to try the deep fried hard boiled egg.

    ReplyDelete